WHAT IS MAGIS EUROPE 2021?
It’s a summer program for young adults, who are interested in Ignatian spirituality. The program is organised by the Hungarian Province of the Society of Jesus, in collaboration with other Jesuit Provinces and female Ignatian congregations.
WHEN WILL IT TAKE PLACE?
From the 7th to the 15th of August, 2021.
- Ignatian experiments: August 7-13, in Hungary and Slovakia
- Closing Magis Festival: August 13-15, in Miskolc, Hungary
HOW CAN I BE A PART OF IT?
To submit your application for Magis Europe 2021, follow the steps of the registration process.
ARE THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS TO THE EVENT DUE TO THE PANDEMIC SITUATION?
Central Europe is currently strongly affected by Covid-19. We strongly hope the summer is going to be better, but it is possible that some national or regional restrictions are going to be in place in August. The Covid-related guidelines for Magis Europe 2021 are:
- if you have the chance to get vaccinated, please take it. The accommodations require a vaccine certificate so you need to have at least your first vaccine shot to participate in Magis Europe 2021.
- Due to the pandemic the organising team prioritises applicants from Europe, and currently only accept applications from participants who reside in Europe.
- We do not ask for any registration fee payment before the summer and we work out a payment scheme that is safest with all the uncertain factors regarding travelling possibilities.
Read more about the pandemic situation in connection with Magis Europe 2021 here. (We update it every now and then.)
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Everyone who is between 18 and 35 years old. MAGIS is especially designed for young people who want to strengthen their roots in Ignatian spirituality, but “Ignatian newbies” are also more than welcome. Magis is organized mainly for participants from Europe, but young people of other continents are also welcome. Due to regulations for providing accommodations in Hungary, you have to have at least on vaccine shot and a certificate of that to participate.
HOW MUCH DOES MAGIS COST?
The total cost for the event is 320.00 EUR per person. We are aware that depending where you come from, this might look quite expensive at first and we would like to make sure everyone has the chance to participate. Hence, we suggest three categories for the fee based on which part of Europe you come from
- 320.00 EUR for participants from Northern and Western Europe, i.e. from: UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia, Switzerland, Austria
- 270.00 EUR for participants from Southern Europe, i.e. from: Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece
- 250.00 EUR for participants from Central Europe, i.e. from: Hungary, Slovakia, Romania, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, etc; and also from participants outside Europe. (If you are from Hungary, you can pay in HUF, the fee is around 90.000 HUF.)
Apart from that, we are able to provide financial help for a limited number of participants. If you feel that the fee that applies to your country is still too heavy for you, you can indicate this when filling the 'Application' form in the second step of the application process. There you can briefly describe your situation and why you apply for financial support (you are more likely to receive support if you still study and do not have regular salary, etc.). Please also state how much you are able to pay for the participation. This helps us support those who are in need according to their personal needs.
On the other hand, if you feel you are able to pay the full amount despite your category you are more than welcome to do so, thus helping those attendees with a limited financial source.
Participation fee for volunteers and consecrated persons is 100.00 EUR
The price covers the entire stay, including accommodation, food, event merchandise and transportation from the venue of the experiment to the Closing event in Miskolc. The price does not include the transportation from your country and back – it must be arranged personally.
WHY WOULD I WANT TO COME TO MAGIS?
MAGIS can help you to...
• deepen your relationship with Jesus
• get to know yourself better
• leave your comfort zone (and have a lot of fun when doing so!)
• get to know other people and cultures
• experience the beauty of the Church in an international environment
• experience the beauty of creation
• grow spiritually and as a human being
• meet in depth with Ignatian spirituality
HOW CAN I CONTACT THE STAFF OF MAGIS EUROPE 2021?
CAN I CHOOSE THE EXPERIMENT I WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN MYSELF?
Yes and no. During registration you are asked to indicate three preferences. After registering and paying you will be allocated to an experiment. Your preferences will be taken into account, as well as other factors (max. 4 people of one country per experiment etc.).
WHAT SHOULD I PACK?
We recommend that you pack toiletries and personal care products (depending on the regulations in Hungary in the summer that may include face masks and some hand sanitizer), a sleeping bag, and clothing that is appropriate for Central Europe's climate in summer. It is customary to bring items that represent your home country to share them with the other members of your group. Once MAGIS draws closer, your experiment leader will send you a more specific list on what to bring.
WHAT IS THE LANGUAGE OF MAGIS EUROPE 2021?
The event will be held in English, so you need a sufficiently high level of English in order to get the most out of your Magis experience.
WHAT CAN I DO IF I AM NOT FLUENT IN ENGLISH?
We have a special experiment for those who still feel a bit uncomfortable about their English and want to improve it while being real MAGIS participants.
WHAT WILL THE DAILY SCHEDULE LOOK LIKE?
Each day is built around a theme. Based on this theme, you will take part in the following activities:
• Personal prayer
• Focus of the day
• The Ignatian experience of the day
• Daily Examen
• Magis Circle
IS IT POSSIBLE TO COME TO MAGIS WITH MY BEST FRIEND? CAN WE DO THE SAME EXPERIMENT?
Yes, this is possible. Please indicate your friend’s name in the comment section, and we’ll make sure to place you in the same experiment.
WHAT IF I DON'T KNOW A JESUIT PERSONALLY? CAN I STILL PARTICIPATE IN MAGIS?
Of course! Your referral person does not necessarily have to be a Jesuit. Any priest, religious sister or other Church responsible can be your referral.
I DON'T HAVE ANY REFERRAL PERSON AT ALL. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Please sign up for Magis just like anyone else, and describe your problem in the comment section. Our team will get back to you, and together you will decide whether MAGIS is the right program for you or not. :-)
WHY DO I NEED A REFERRAL PERSON?
The MAGIS event is designed for young people who want to seek God in their lives and live a fuller life with Him and for Him. Knowing a little bit about Christianity and Ignatian spirituality already is very helpful in order to get the most out of your MAGIS experience. Your referral person confirms that he/she thinks that the MAGIS program will benefit you, and that everyone else at MAGIS will benefit from your presence, too! :-)
I CANNOT LOG IN TO MY ACCOUNT AFTER CREATING IT. IT SAYS THE ACCOUNT IS SUSPENDED. DID I MAKE A MISTAKE SOMEWHERE?
Do not worry, your registration process is underway. We enable your account after getting in contact with your referral person, this might take a few days.